Sunday, September 1, 2013

UK Campsite Review - North Morte Farm

If you are looking for a family campsite or a campsite for a couple then I can highly recommend North Morte Farm Caravan and Camping Park. I am having this review squeezed out of me because this is the campsite where I spend my yearly holiday with my partner whom has been returning to the North Devon coast for 10+ years. We have always been worried about whether or not reviewing the campsite will ruin its attraction because of increased visitor numbers etc,
 but after deliberation and reading a few newspapers quoting North Morte as one of the best sites in Britain we feel although advertising is already at its peak! Additionally the site has strict rules (which will be discussed) and has coped so far with the larger visitor numbers.
North Morte Farm is a family run caravan park, connected to National Trust land and coastline which boasts the fantastic Rockham Beach amongst some of the most spectacular countryside in the South West. The North Devon coastline is so beautiful, a real spectacle resembling what you might expect to see off the coast of Southern France. We have been out on a walk more than a few times and thought to ourselves how silly we are that we pay for expensive flights to go and see these views abroad when actually they are right on our doorstep.
 There are other wonderful beaches along the coast as well including the famous Woolacombe Sands; 2 miles of golden sands famed for its surfing and watersports. From the site is direct access to the South West coast path and Morthoe village is a 5 minute walk away with some great pubs, shops, a Post Office and restaurants.
Location
As stated in the introduction North Morte Farm is situated on the North Devon coast between Woolacombe and Ilfracombe with the minor quaint villiages of Croyde and Lee located nearby, both definitely worth a look. The location is easily accessible via the A361 which adjoins the M5 for those from the North whilst the most direct route from the East is via the A303. The exact location including postal address can be found on the North Morte Farm website.
Prices
Every time we have been camping at North Morte Farm the cost has been broken down as £7.35 per person per night with children prices being £3.00 per night. You pay an additional fee of £1.50 per night for a dog. These are peak season prices and although camping in the off season is possible, I have never tried and I imagine that being near the coast the weather could have a dramatic effect on your trip!
Facilities
No advanced bookings are on offer here I am afraid and so you may turn up and be turned away. However this can play in your favour because you can turn up and choose your own pitch; close to the toilet block, close to the shop, sheltered behind a bush etc. There is also a modern toilet block with fresh hot showers (for free!) but make sure you get in early after the 7:30am opening to get the best of the available hot water.
 I believe that by next season a new shower system will be installed as the hot water does run out very quickly! There are hairdryers available, a dish washing area, a shop with all essential camping supplies, a launderette with ironing facilities, gas exchange, childrens play area, reception with local information, recycling centre and payphones.
Rules and Regulations
I believe that it is the rules and regulations at North Morte that set it apart from other campsites. I have never had to complain about anything and neither has my partner (who has been holidaying there for 10+ years). I will not quote all the regulations but I recommend you have a look here before you leave.
 The main rules include not being able to book a pitch, no more than 3 couples in a group and no more than 3 same sex individuals in a group, no unaccompanied under 18s, specified book in times and no pitching after 10.30pm, respecting other campers, a speed limit of 5mph on site and a minimum booking of 2 nights over weekends.
Why North Morte?
If you love being by the coast with fantastic scenery and doing outdoor activities then North Morte is the place to be. I would be very surprised if you find better. Normally there is a lot of sunshine over the Summer months; I always comes back with a tan! There is a lot to do in the local area including fishing, golf, hiking, walking, cycling, swimming, beaches, surfing and other watersports, horseriding and boating. This means there is plenty to keep the kids occupied off site but with the childrens play area there is also enough to keep them occupied on-site.
 Surrounding villiages make the perfect days out and include Clovelly, Lynton and Lynmouth, Arlington Court, and many attractions such as Combe Martin Wildlife Park, Watermouth Castle and Dartington Crystal. Also take a boat ride to Lundy Island from nearby Ilfracombe or visit Exmoor National Park. All this information is available on arrival at Reception so you will never be short of something to do!
Of course If asked on the street I would give North Morte 5 out of 5 but in true honesty a Gone Camping UK rating of 4.5 out of 5 is more accurate. When you find a site that when queried the answer is always 'Excellent' or 'Amazing' then you know it is going to have a high score. However a true 5 requires excellence all around and I`m afraid until those showers are sorted a 5 is not going to be possible.
 In the grand scheme of things though, everything else is excellent; price, facilities, location, family friendly, available activities, staff friendliness. Go on, give it a try, I would be interested to here from you if you have.


No comments:

Post a Comment